[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Beacon Module Proposal

Moises Silva moises.silva at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 14:57:35 CDT 2015

> How often were you envisioning having the job call home?  I was
> thinking at startup and core reload and if that's the case why bother
> with an external process and the work that goes with it?  I know
> someone mentioned they don't want asterisk crashing because of a flaw
> in the beacon but you can say that about any portion of asterisk.

The fact that you can say that about any portion of Asterisk is not a good
argument for inclusion (or against doing it outside). The more you add
in-process, in a low-level language such as C, the bigger the odds a small
mistake brings the whole thing down. Also the community that is capable of
fixing bugs, auditing code, etc; is smaller than if this were written in a
scripting language, very little sys admins would be able to tweak it or
hook into it since your average sys admin does not have C knowledge. This
is also the reason an application like 'Queue' is better controlled from
the outside with Asterisk just providing the telecom building-blocks which
*need* the low-level control of C. Reporting occasionally data via HTTP is
not something that needs C.

Having said that, I understand the non-technical argument of remove
friction to opt-in to have this functionality enabled and collect more
stats, which makes the in-proc option more appealing.

-
Moy