[asterisk-dev] OFF TOPIC: GitHub vs. BitBucket vs. GitLab

Leif Madsen lmadsen at thinkingphones.com
Sun Jan 18 12:58:04 CST 2015

My experience with workflow is to have Gerrit as the gatekeeper of the
code, which then handles the code review and merges it into whatever Git
repo you want (I've previously used it with GitHub, recently with a private
locally hosted repo).

Can you elaborate on what you're having troubles with? Sounds like your
workflow might just be more complex than it needs to be. Either way, if you
use Gerrit, it merges to the approach branches for you and rejects it if it
can't be merged cleanly (and needs to be rebased against the branch it's
trying to merge to etc).

It's really pretty straight forward. We don't allow direct merging, only
Gerrit is allowed to merge.

Leif.

On 18 January 2015 at 08:32, Nir Simionovich <nir.simionovich at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   This is somewhat of an off topic discussion, however, I'm putting it
> here - as most of your have more experience than me when it comes to using
> git.
>
>   So, we've been using GitHub for a year now as our Git repository and are
> fairly happy with it. At the same time, we're using BitBucket for some of
> our projects, specifically those who are not of Open Source nature.
>
>   Recently, I've become frustrated with both platforms - specifically when
> it comes to managing code within teams - specifically when code reviews are
> required from multiple entry points - code review becomes longer than
> actual coding.
>
>   So, I was wondering what you guys are using and working with? You are
> welcome to answer this off-list, but I do believe that some of us may
> benefit from the discussion.
>
> Nir
>
> --

Leif Madsen