[asterisk-dev] AstriDevCon Follow Up - Asterisk and Kamailio - smoother integration

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Mon Feb 23 11:16:48 CST 2015

MJ> What I'm trying to reason out is: given a set of routing constraints -
MJ> which includes not only load balancing but also "application" level routing
MJ> decisions - what's the appropriate place for that information to live?
MJ> Particularly when you want your entire system - not just Asterisk - to be
MJ> scalable?

You need to use something to keep track of whether each box is reachable
and what each is doing.  There a lots of ways of doing that, including
custom network applications, shared networkable databases, shared nfs,
et alia.

Then each node needs a bit of logic to use that data to determine what
to do with any given event.

As one example, if a sip server gets an invite which directs on to an
existing conference, it needs to know which asterisk is handling that
conference, so that it can send the invite there.

A shared database is required, but whether it is a custom application, a
networkable db or a local db stored on a networked file systems is
something anyone writing the code needs to choose.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6