[asterisk-dev] Implementing Native Bridging in a DAHDI kernel driver

Fábio Urquiza flus at cesar.org.br
Tue Dec 22 16:49:23 CST 2015

Hi All,

I have a PABX hardware composed of several FXO, FXS and E1 cards and a
Digital Matrix IC that commutes TDM between it's channels. The software
that runs the PABX CPU is a embedded linux distribution and I'm planning
using Asterisk as the Softswitch. I've already have developed a driver with
basic functions to detect phone off the hook and dial tones, do ringing and
to commute channels of different cards but now I need to figure out how to
interface that with Asterisk.

I imagine that I have to implement some DAHDI functions and structures in
order to the Asterisk dahdi_chan detect the cards and map all to spans. The
problem is that the natural flow of a DAHDI call consists getting the TDM
from a channel using dahdi_receive() and sending the TDM to another channel
using dahdi_transmit(), and I need the TDM to be commuted internally in the
driver using the Digital Matrix IC.

Browsing the Asterisk documentation I came along a concept called "Native
bridging" in which all bridging are done internally, with no TDM going
through the Asterisk. I like to ask you if that is the best approach to
take on that matter and if you have some pointers of how to implement that
concept in the DAHDI driver that I'm writing for this particular hardware.

Thanks and best regards,

-Fabio Urquiza