[asterisk-dev] Bridges, T.38, and other good times

Richard Mudgett rmudgett at digium.com
Thu Dec 10 13:52:40 CST 2015

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 7:57 PM, Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com> wrote:

> Hello all -
>
> One of the efforts that a number of developers in the community here at
> Digium have been at work at are cleaning up test failures exposed by
> Jenkins [1]. One of these, in particular, has been rather difficult to
> resolve - namely, fax/pjsip/directmedia_reinvite_t38 [2]. This e-mail goes
> over what has been accomplished, and asks some questions on how we might
> try and fix Asterisk under this scenario.
>
> The directmedia_reinvite_t38 test attempts to do the following:
>  (1) UAC1 calls UAC2 through Asterisk, with audio as the media. The dial
> is performed using the 'g' flag, such that UAC2 will continue on if UAC1
> hangs up.
>  (2) UAC1 and UAC2 are configured for direct media. Asterisk sends a
> re-INVITE to UAC1 and UAC2 to initiate direct media.
>  (3) After responding with a 200 OK to the direct media requests, UAC1
> sends a re-INVITE offering T.38.
>  (4) Asterisk sends an INVITE with T.38 to UAC2
>  (5) UAC2 sends back a 200 OK for T.38; Asterisk sends that to UAC1.
> Asterisk switches out of a direct media bridge to a core bridge.
>  (6) UAC1 hangs up. Asterisk sends a re-INVITE to UAC2 for audio back to
> Asterisk. UAC2 responds with a 200 OK for the audio.
>  (7) Asterisk ejects UAC2 back to the dialplan.
>
> It's important to note that this test never should have passed - an update
> to the test suite "fixed" the test erroneously passing, which led to us
> investigating why the scenario was failing. This test was copied over from
> an identical chan_sip test, which passes.
>
> The PJSIP stack has two issues which make life difficult for it in this
> scenario:
> (1) The T.38 logic is implemented in res_pjsip_t38. While that is _mostly_
> a very good thing - as it keeps all the fax state logic outside of the
> channel driver - we are also a layer removed from interactions that occur
> in the channel driver. That makes it challenging to influence direct media
> checks and other Asterisk/channel interactions.
> (2) Being very asynchronous, requests may be serviced that influence T.38
> state while other interactions are occurring in the core. Informing the
> core of what has occurred can have more race conditions than what occurs in
> chan_sip, which is single threaded.
>
> The first bug discovered when the test was investigated was an issue in
> step (2). We never actually initiated a direct media re-INVITE. This was
> due to res_pjsip_t38 using a frame hook, and not implementing the
> .consume_cb callback. That callback allows a framehook to inform the core
> (and also the bridging framework) of the types of frames that a framehook
> wants to consume. If a framehook needs audio, a direct media bridge will be
> explicitly denied, and - by default - the bridging framework assumes that
> framehooks will want all frames. Another bug that was discovered occurred
> in step (6). When UAC1 sends a BYE request, nothing informed UAC2 that the
> [...]

I think option 1 is what needs to be done because it doesn't introduce an
API/ABI change to v13.

Like DTMF begin/end and Hold/Unhold the T.38 state has begin/end events
that must be completed
in a similar manner when the channel leaves the bridging system.  Also like
DTMF and hold, T.38 would
need to be completed if someone masqueraded the channel out of an
application like ReceiveFAX/SendFAX
using AMI Redirect.  Thus the channel would need to keep track of its T.38
state just like it currently keeps
track of DTMF and hold.

I cannot think of a generic way to have the bridging framework nor
masquerade be able to generically
end these three things without getting cumbersome with something like
datastores being added and
removed whenever there is a pending end event.

Trying to get the two locations where the end events need to be simulated
refactored into a single routine
would be difficult because both locations have very strict requirements to
operate correctly.  A compromise
could be done by extracting the respective code into their own co-located
routines.  Then it might be easier
to remember to keep both versions in sync.  Either that or place a dire
warning comments to keep both
places synced.

Richard