[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.8/12 build system changes

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Tue Apr 14 12:37:27 CDT 2015

Hello!

As you know, 1.8 and 12 are in security fix only mode. Generally, that
would normally mean that releases made from those branches would only
ever be made from the previous tag, ensuring that the only changes in
the versions are specific to the security issues being resolved.

However, since we've moved to Git, there are a few things that needed
to be merged into those branches for them to be useful. That includes
a minimum amount of Git support (.gitignore files, for example). More
generally, that also included menuselect, as those branches previously
relied on svn:externals to pull menuselect in.

That begs the question: the next time we make a release of 1.8/12 for
security reasons, what is the release? And what should it be called?

I can see a few different options:

* The next release is 1.8.32.4/12.8.3, but is made from the branch and
contains the menuselect/git changes.

* We make a special, one-time only, bug fix release of 1.8/12
containing the menuselect/git changes, with a note of why it was made.
Those releases would go out as 1.8.33.0 and 12.9.0.

* We don't make a special bug-fix release, but instead the next
security release is made as 1.8.33.0/12.9.0 and contains both the
menuselect/Git changes as well as the security release changes.

Note that in any of the cases mentioned above, the UPGRADE notes will
clearly state what has changed in the version, including the
menuselect alterations.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Flames?

--
Matthew Jordan