[asterisk-dev] Git Migration update

Russell Bryant russell at russellbryant.net
Tue Apr 14 09:24:22 CDT 2015

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 6:52 PM, Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com> wrote:

> For *right now*, we are going to try cherry-picking the changes to the
> affected branches when the change is first up for review. This is
> clearly a pretty big change in process, as the act of merging into
> other branches was (a) always done by those with commit access and (b)
> never reviewed. There's at least two good reasons to give this a try:
>
> (1) There isn't anyone with "commit" access. Anyone can post a review
> up to Gerrit. The plus side is that there are far fewer barriers to
> getting a patch into Asterisk. The downside is that there isn't a
> select group of people who have been trusted to do the merges. The
> only way to ensure that patches actually do get merged into all the
> branches is to require people to put the patches up with the initial
> review.
>
> (2) Gerrit really, really wants to review things. That's a good thing:
> we've had plenty of bad merges take out branches in the past - either
> from compilation issues, subtle bugs that creep in due to API
> compatibility problems, etc. We've had even more that get merged
> upstream and fail to take advantage of APIs that exist in later
> versions of Asterisk. Reviews will help to catch that.
>
> This is a trial. We'll re-evaluate how things are working at the end
> of the week.
>
> Instructions for cherry-picking changes are on a draft wiki page here:
>
> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Git+Usage

One thing that helps tracking backports is using the same Change-Id for the
same patch applied to multiple branches.  You can use that Id to check the
status of a single patch across all branches.  For example, I saw this
patch that's proposed for both master and 13:

https://gerrit.asterisk.org/#/q/Id0ce0528e58014da1324856ea537e7765466044a

--
Russell Bryant