[asterisk-dev] Asterisk to Git Migration Update

Corey Farrell git at cfware.com
Thu Apr 2 15:33:02 CDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 7:54 PM, Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 1:48 PM, Russell Bryant
> <russell at russellbryant.net> wrote:

<snip>

> Yeah, I think I'd rather just bite the bullet and get the repo set up
> "right" with as few weird things lingering around as possible. The
> only potential issue is requiring libxml2 (as we didn't pull in the
> bundled mxml) - but we may as well deal with the fallout now.

Maybe for 11 we can just import menuselect and mxml SVN repos into the
GIT branch 11 with no modifications.  This way there would be no
changes in dependencies.

>>> (4) Asterisk records the SVN revision in each file using the special
>>> keyword "$Revision:". This is then registered in a linked list for
>>> retrieval by the CLI/AMI. Unfortunately, Git doesn't support this
>>> concept, as adding data into a file after commit would change the
>>> checksum . It does allow doing this on checkout via the $Id$ keyword,
>>> which may be an acceptable workaround.
>>

>>  That whole thing seems questionably useful, anyway.  Just removing it is
>> another option.
>
> True. I'm not sure how much value people get from knowing the SVN
> revision of a file... much less a checksum.

Checksums would only be useful if they were generated at build-time
from the complete source file, and a file or URL with a list of
official checksums was available.  This would allow a CLI command to
list unofficial/modified sources, could make it easier to identify
when bugs are caused by those changes.