[asterisk-dev] beta2 compile failure

Paul Albrecht palbrecht at glccom.com
Tue Sep 23 10:11:58 CDT 2014

On Sep 23, 2014, at 9:25 AM, Joshua Colp <jcolp at digium.com> wrote:

> Paul Albrecht wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 22, 2014, at 3:47 PM, Joshua Colp <jcolp at digium.com
>> <mailto:jcolp at digium.com>> wrote:

>>> Your environment does not seem have a suitable pjproject. It should not
>>> be trying to link in any static. Did you follow the wiki to build
>>> pjproject? Do you have an old install as well as a new?
>>
>> Oops, my bad, I didn’t setup pjproject. However, the configure script
>> didn’t complain so I assumed I was good to go and proceeded to make
>> asterisk. Shouldn’t the configure script catch this and not allow
>> someone to proceed to make? Thought that was a function of the configure
>> script, that is, it verifies software dependancies before the build step.
>
> The configure script checks for pjproject but it is not currently
> specific enough to look for only shared. (Not sure off the top of my
> head how we could make it)

So your response is that you agree the configure script should check for the pjproject  dependency, but you don’t know how to do that? Really?

>> Another thing … the README int the top level directory doesn’t seem to
>> have been updated in a while and doesn’t mention pjproject. If there’s
>> an external requirement like pjproject shouldn’t that go in the README?
>
> These days almost everything is documented on the wiki. The README
> itself only covers the basics to get Asterisk up and going. It could be
> extended to include dependencies for the various things.

The README no longer "covers the basics" to get asterisk up and running because it doesn’t mention pjproject, which is now a required external dependency.  If you don’t think the README file is the right place for installation instructions, why not add an “INSTALL” file in the top level directory like other projects?