[asterisk-dev] AstriDevCon 2014: Agenda item Deprecate AMI/AGI (Ben Klang)

Ben Langfeld ben at langfeld.me
Tue Oct 28 13:09:48 CDT 2014

On 28 October 2014 14:44, Russell Bryant <russell at russellbryant.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 11:24 AM, Phil Mickelson <phil at cbasoftware.com>
> wrote:
>
>> So.  After all this I'm tired of hearing the same argument.  I've decided
>> to take the other side.
>>
>> I have seen the progression of Asterisk for the last 5+ years.  I was at
>> Astricon when it was held in the DC area and the last one in Atlanta (I
>> wish you'd go back there instead of Vegas!).
>>
>> I tried to use Asterisk many times but always found it wanting.  Why?
>> I'm a programmer.  I like to be able to make tools do what I want.  So, I
>> left Asterisk and moved on to FreeSWITCH.  After beating my head against
>> the FS wall for quite some time I was just about ready to give up
>> completely.  Until I saw the videos from Astricon 2013 talking about ARI.
>> I knew immediately this is what I wanted.
>>
>> Over the last several months I have written a full answering service
>> system using ARI.  It is PERFECT!  Would I like a few more features in
>> ARI?  Of course.  I'm I blown away by how complete the new options are?.
>> Without ARI I could've never have done what I did.
>>
>> Should they drop the dialplan?  Please.  Now.  I can't believe this isn't
>> holding back options.  You really want to stick with the dialplan?
>> Really?  Fine.  Do it.  You have all the source code.  Apparently, you use
>> V1.4 anyway.  What difference is it to you?
>>
>> Be honest.  This has nothing to do with the Asterisk Community.  It has
>> to do with you.  What you want.  There are many of us who are very thankful
>> they have moved forward.  Both ARI and PJSIP.  The old SIP problems were
>> many and awful.
>>
>> If all you want is a standard PBX you've got it.  What I want is
>> something I can work with without having to program in C again which I gave
>> up many, many years ago.  I have no interest in going back.
>>
>> So, from my POV and hopefully many who will discover Asterisk again (I'm
>> talking to you FreeSWITCHers!) ARI (and PJSIP) are the real thing.  This is
>> a very exciting time and I'm looking forward to many applications that I
>> will be able to create.
>>
>> Thank you Digium and all the Asterisk developers for going in this
>> direction.  I will certainly be at Astricon next year (even if it's in LV)
>> and you will hear me support moving forward as quickly as possible.
>>

> I LOVE this post.  Thanks, Phil.  Well said.
>
> I said this in my talk last week and will reiterate it here.  I think the
> Asterisk dev community has been doing an amazing job over the last few
> years.  Internal refactorings have been achieved that we used to dream of.

I second every one of Phil's points and this observation in particular.
Trying to bend Asterisk to be capable of these sorts of things used to be
the stuff of nightmares and despair. Now there is hope that complex use
cases and capabilities are becoming first class citizens within the project
and its community and that the stagnation and horror of earlier years is no
more. This is very much appreciated and welcomed, and I hope we can
contribute more going forward in whatever form we are able.

> A new SIP channel driver finally exists.  The new API work just totally
> rocks.  It's an absolutely critical piece of what is needed from Asterisk
> to fit in to the way future telephony applications should be architected in
> my view.
>
> Well done, dev community.  Keep kicking ass.

+10