[asterisk-dev] AMI Channels

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Fri Oct 3 03:28:59 CDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:11 PM, Phil Mickelson <phil at cbasoftware.com> wrote:
> Two questions:
>
> 1.  There is a BridgeDestroy event but no ChannelDestroy (or ChannelClose or
> whatever) event.  Why not?

The equivalent is Hangup. Channel lifetimes are marked by "Newchannel"
and "Hangup".

See: https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/AMI+v2+Specification#AMIv2Specification-BasicChannelLifetime

> 2.  Every other event seems to be in CamelCase, but Newchannel is not.  Is
> there a reason for this or just an oversight or perhaps just unimportant?
> In the same vein, why is it Newchannel and not ChannelCreate?

Really, it's just an artifact of historical AMI. The interface has
always indicated a new channel using "Newchannel", and its termination
with "Hangup". Bridges - as a first class citizen - are new in 12+,
and hence have a slightly different convention that follow a more
familiar nomenclature.

While we renamed a decent chunk of AMI events in 12+, "Newchannel" and
"Hangup" are so ubiquitous that renaming those two - in particular -
would have hurt a lot of implementations. Hence we opted to keep the
names the same.

Matt

--
Matthew Jordan