[asterisk-dev] Notes from setting up SIP+TLS/RTP+DTLS

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Sun Nov 9 18:15:29 CST 2014

Ben Klang wrote:
> Tonight I finally got Asterisk 13 working with chan_pjsip and SIP+TLS
> and RTP+DTLS. It’s 12:45am so I won’t spend a lot of time on this now,
> but I wanted to share the notes I took while setting this up as I feel
> the documentation is pretty lacking in this area.
>

> *media_encryption is not well documented in pjsip.conf*
> * In my case, it needed to be set to “dtls”, but I think that some
> endpoints may need “srtp"

For traditional SIP endpoints the common would be SDES. This exchanges
the keys in the SDP. WebRTC requires DTLS which negotiates the keys
using DTLS.

> * my first-guess setting of “yes” results in a cryptic/unhelpful error
> on the console, and the syntax error caused the entire endpoint to be
> un-useable

An invalid configuration (such as setting yes there) is considered fatal
currently.

> * dtls vs.srtp is not mentioned at all (as far asI could find) in either
> the Asterisk Wiki nor the configs/sample/pjsip.conf

DTLS is SRTP, as is SDES. Just a difference in how keys are exchanged.

> * The default is “no” - I had thought that SRTP and DTLS were not
> mutually exclusive - are they? If not, can we set a default that permits
> them to be used if requested by the endpoint?

In practice you can't really have them both. The problem comes in
outgoing calls. How do you offer both SDES and DTLS? A DTLS stream with
crypto attribute? It's rather undefined in the real world of what
behavior things will have. From my experience and talking to others it
generally won't work.

> *Configuring certificates*
> There is no mention of the fact that endpoints need DTLS certificates
> configured at all on endpoints in the Asterisk Wiki.
> The Asterisk Wiki covers setting up TLS on the transport, and that
> mostly worked on the first go *except* that the config key is
> erroneously referenced as “privkey_file” (missing an underscore). I made
> a comment on the Wiki so someone can correct this, but it appears to
> have been included in sample config files for some time, so the bad info
> is out there: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=asterisk+%22privkey_file%22
> <https://duckduckgo.com/?q=asterisk+"privkey_file">
> Also, it might be worth mentioning that TLS runs over TCP, not UDP, as I
> had that wrong in my firewall on the first attempt.
>
> Setting certificates has to be done at least twice (transport + endpoint)
> * There is no automatic setting of the DTLS CA/Cert/Privkey from the
> SIP+TLS configuration for the transport. I know this would potentially
> be difficult if multiple transports were set with different TLS keys,
> but still…this is non-obvious.

Correct, media transport and signaling transport are completely separate.

> * Can we somehow default the endpoint’s CA/Cert/Privkey to that of the
> transport? If not, can we somehow associate the endpoint with the
> transport so it doesn’t have to be configured twice?

Not... really. At least, not easily. Transports generally aren't
selected until a message is sent.

> The pjsip configuration keys are subtly different for SIP+TLS on the
> transport vs. RTP+DTLS on the endpoint. Examples:
>
> cert_file =X ; transport
> dtls_cert_file = X ; endpoint
> ; dtls_ prefix, weird but ok - srtp doesn’t appear to have a
> corresponding setting, so do we even need the prefix?
>
> priv_key_file = X ; transport
> dtls_private_key = X ; endpoint
> ; priv_key_file vs. private_key?
>
> ca_list_file =X ; transport
> dtls_ca_file = X ; endpoint
> ; _list or not?
>
> I’m not familiar with Sorcery. I know that Asterisk 13 is out meaning
> these config settings are set in stone for the next couple of years. But
> could we create aliases that were more consistent, just to preserve some
> peoples’ hair?

Maybe. All of the DTLS configuration occurs in common logic across the
code base. Provided it's fed what is expected then it's happy.

It sounds like overall we just need better documentation of this.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Colp