[asterisk-dev] Asterisk MoS and RTCP data [pardon the directness and language :-)]

Nir Simionovich nir.simionovich at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 08:30:00 CST 2014

Hi All,

So, if there is one thing I really like about PJSIP and WebRTC
(specifically with mobile) is the ability to produce meaningful MoS scoring
for calls in real time. Now, Asterisk doesn't have that capability, at
least, not during the actual call - but only after.

In itself, not an issue - it's good enough.

If you were to look up the calculation for how to get your MoS, the
following is the most common
algorithm that I've found:

effectiveLatency = rttMs + averageJitterMs * 2 + 10
R = 93.2 - (effectiveLatency/40)
R = R - (fractionLost * 2.5)
MOS = 1 + (0.035)*R+(0.000007)*R*(R-60)*(100-R)

My primary question is this: I can't find what rttMs in Asterisk
terminology is. There is an rtt value,
but its value is several orders of magnitude than I would expect. So, I
thought it may be in microSec, not miliSec - but that doesn't make much
sense either.

So, on one hand I have a shit load of information, on the other hand, it is
formatted in a very hard way to manage.

Any idea how we can make this better? On another notion, I think that
adding RTCP reading capabilities to the channels module in ARI may probe
extremely useful.

Nir S