[asterisk-dev] func_jitterbuffer handling of masquerades

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Wed Nov 5 12:24:25 CST 2014

Corey Farrell wrote:

<snip>

> The change I am proposing is that we always have an active JB after
> masquerade if either side had one before the masquerade.  So in
> scenario 1 and 2 listed above this would cause the only active
> jitterbuffer to remain active after a masquerade.  For situations
> where both channels have active jitterbuffer, we would always prefer
> the jitterbuffer settings from clonechan.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Local channels aside (as they always
complicate things) for the moment if I have two channels:

PJSIP/alice
PJSIP/bob

Following assumptions:

PJSIP/alice has had a jitterbuffer placed on her.

Scenario:

PJSIP/bob masquerades into PJSIP/alice to take her place.

As a deployer would I expect PJSIP/bob to have a jitterbuffer then? No.
I placed it on PJSIP/alice. Why should it be on PJSIP/bob after this? I
don't know or care that a masquerade happened. If it is on PJSIP/bob
though - how do I know a masquerade has happened so I can get rid of it
since I don't want it there?

I can understand why when Local channels are involved it can make things
easier but I don't think the resulting behavior would be what people
would expect or want, and allowing some method to control it confuses
people.

That's my feelings about this.

What do others think?

--