[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 14 - Remote URI Playback

Johan Wilfer lists at jttech.se
Wed Nov 5 03:58:50 CST 2014

Den 2014-11-05 08:45, BJ Weschke skrev:

>   As for the timestamps for deciding whether the local cache is dirty, I
> don't think we should try to reinvent the wheel here. We should stick
> what's already well established for stuff like this and use the entity
> tag (Etag) response header stored and then use the "If-None-Match"
> request header approach. Google does a much better job of explaining it
> than I can here:
> https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/performance/optimizing-content-efficiency/http-caching

+1 This was my thought as well. We should stick to the HTTP standard,
and not have our own way of doing caching. In HTTP you have two models:
  1. Timestamps (header "Expires")
  2. E-tag for validation of the resource (header "If-None-Match").

I would also like to add that we really should have a way of using & in
an url. Wouldn't this be a much more common use-case than to play in
parallel? Maybe the parallel payback can be enabled/disabled by a extra
flag in the dialplan? This way you would lose the ability to have an amp
in the url if you would like to do parallel playback but not otherwise.
I think that would be acceptable...

Overall I must say that this is very simple and cool idea and a nice way
to do scalability. Thank you! :-)

--
Johan Wilfer