[asterisk-dev] Cross-device/cross-service/cross-network/cross-media encryption

Stefan Gofferje lists at home.gofferje.net
Tue Mar 25 06:45:11 CDT 2014

Hi,

has anybody yet thought about some kind of voice encryption system that
would be implementable on pretty much any device in any network through
any media?

German manufacturer Rohde + Schwarz used to have a system that was
fairly universal. They had boxes for ISDN (BRI and PRI), boxes for
analog connections and even mobile phones. All were cross-compatible.
The whole system was even certified for handling classified information.

I'm just thinking - data connections and mobile networks are not
necessarily available everywhere.

Technically, I'd do something like encoding the voice information with
GSM or Speex and piping that through AES or something like that. The
tricky part is the cross-media stuff... E.g. for the analog path
everything would have to go through some kind of analog modem and the
Answer app would need to be able to recognize encrypted calls and act
accordingly.

Digium could even produce little boxes to connect between an FXS and an
FXO which would handle the remote stations...
Would probably sell well with the current worldwide privacy worries...

-S

--
 (o_   Stefan Gofferje            | SCLT, MCP, CCSA
 //\   Reg'd Linux User #247167   | VCP #2263