[asterisk-dev] Asterisk and external SIP subscribtions

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Wed Mar 19 09:41:55 CDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net> wrote:

<snip>

> While working on Pinana we realized that th XMPP stuff was not
> handling device/extension states correctly - I worked with the
> developer of the XMPP state distribution in my design and we
> realized that he had missed the distinction.
>
> We need to be able to publish device states for aggregation into
> extension states, but also publish extension states for blinking
> lamps. IE, a hint would be based on a device state subscription.

Fundamentally, I've been thinking about this problem more around
device states: that is, if all Asterisk instances have the ability to
share their device states - whatever those device states happen to
derive from - then every Asterisk instance can build the same
extension states if they so choose to. Or not - but it ends up being a
function of the Asterisk dialplan at each instance, as opposed to
something forced.

In a world where all Asterisk instances know of the device states for
any other Asterisk instance, can you explain why publishing extension
states are needed?

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager