[asterisk-dev] Asterisk and external SIP subscribtions

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Mar 19 08:56:59 CDT 2014

On 19 Mar 2014, at 14:50, Paul Belanger <paul.belanger at polybeacon.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I wanted to ask if there is any sort of design document / work started
> on having Asterisk 13 be able to subscribe to external SIP messages
> for the purpose of presence (device state).
>
> More and more we are trying to come up with a good way to have
> Asterisk be aware of SIP subscriber presence from our proxy (kamailio)
> and propagate that information into Asterisk. Today we are using
> custom device state and some AMI / console scripts to do this, but its
> a pain to maintain / deploy.
>
> So, what we (our company) was planning on doing was funding some
> developer to go out and build us something on top of pjproject to
> handle this.  Some sort of res_pjsip_foo module to handle presence
> from Kamailio.  The question comes up which RFC is should be, but at
> this point in time, that's a discussion point.
I have an old design and some code for chan_sip, but the design should
be working for chan_pjsip as well. Google for project pinana.
I presented it at a astridevcon years ago.
The important thing is to have a generic design so we can publish
states of non-sip extensions too.

> Talking to matt, I think we want to use the res_pjsip_pubsub.c module,
> but need to confirm. And the reason for having this email. So, is
> anybody interested in helping us build it?  Both from a design apsect,
> so we can get it into Asterisk and / or help find a developer to do
> the work / funding?
>
> I see said module having some config file that will allow you to
> specific your source, and the domains you which to subscribe too.
> Then, when asterisk starts, it sets up the subscriptions and then
> listens for the publish and stores them as local (internal) device
> states.  I don't really care about adding publish support at this
> point in time, simply because everything SIP related is outside
> asterisk.
>
> EG:
>
> [example.org]
> server = 192.168.1.1
> users = *
>
> So, thoughts?  Interested in helping? Want to also fund this venture?
Start with reviewing my design.

/O