[asterisk-dev] DNS & PJSIP

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Mar 17 09:07:44 CDT 2014

On 17 Mar 2014, at 15:00, Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 4:47 AM, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net> wrote:
>> Friends,
>> After a bit of heated discussion I can try to make a conclusion from what I see when the dust settled:
>>
>> - We are still in control of our own product and make our own decisions about Asterisk architecture. Any arguments like "PJSIP has it so we have to enable it" falls to the ground as not valid and disappear in a cloud of smoke.
>>
>> - No one has given any reasons why we should be able to configure DNS servers in the PJSIP channel configuration, apart from Jared who wanted to let users shoot themself in the feet. That is not the way I treat my users. I think most of us now agree that we don't want to have that configuration item.
>>
>> - In the long run, having a DNS resolver embedded in a module is not a good thing. Due to the PJSIP architecture, it's very hard to avoid. I've spoken with several non-asterisk developers using PJSIP that have partly succeeded, but not fully. We need to stress this to pjsip so that they can separate this code in the future.
>>
>> - Having PJSIP parse /etc/resolv.conf is not a good thing. If that can't be avoided, we need to monitor the file for updates from Asterisk and reconfigure.
>>
>> Sorry for being a bit provocative, but some responses I got caused me to become upset. I feel very strongly for keeping our architecture in control and following the soul of Asterisk and the environment we run Asterisk in.
>>
>> I think that's all I see in the dust on the battleground. Any comments on this?
>>

> I've already spelled out my disagreements with your arguments here
> previously [1] [2] [3] [4]. I don't believe rehashing them again is
> going to be productive.
>
> Josh has removed the ability for an end user to configure the
> nameservers [5]. Asterisk will use the system ones if available - if
> those are not available, then the code will revert back to
> 'gethostbyname' style resolution.
Thank you. That was my most important issue - which I've said
many times.

> I think this is one of those situations in which we are going to have
> to agree to disagree. Disagreement is okay: being able to disagree
> means we can have healthy discussions. In this case, this is a change
> that I feel is immensely beneficial for end users, and which has
> minimal negative implications both for the architecture of Asterisk as
> well as for end users. You disagree with that; I respect your opinion.
> We are, however, going to move forward with this change.
What are we disagreeing about Matt? I write above "in the long run".
I said NO to the config options and was not happy about the DNS resolver,
but haven't said no. Quite the opposite, I stated above that it is very hard to get rid
of it while using PJSIP - "it's very hard to avoid" Nothing much to do but to use it and try to
get rid of it at some point if we have the resources and code to do it.

Please read my mails more carefully.
/O