[asterisk-dev] DNS & PJSIP

Sean Bright sean.bright at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 07:53:21 CDT 2014

On 3/17/2014 5:47 AM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> - We are still in control of our own product and make our own decisions about Asterisk architecture. Any arguments like "PJSIP has it so we have to enable it" falls to the ground as not valid and disappear in a cloud of smoke.

Those that are in control of the project are those that contribute and
move the project forward.  No one has used the phrase "PJSIP has it so
we have to enable it."  PJSIP's resolver being enabled is better for
users.  Full stop.

> - No one has given any reasons why we should be able to configure DNS servers in the PJSIP channel configuration, apart from Jared who wanted to let users shoot themself in the feet. That is not the way I treat my users. I think most of us now agree that we don't want to have that configuration item.

res_init/res_ninit have not been identified as being available across
all of the platforms that Asterisk currently supports. Providing users
the ability to specify the name servers _when they can not be
automatically discovered_ is a Good Thing (tm).

> - In the long run, having a DNS resolver embedded in a module is not a good thing. Due to the PJSIP architecture, it's very hard to avoid. I've spoken with several non-asterisk developers using PJSIP that have partly succeeded, but not fully. We need to stress this to pjsip so that they can separate this code in the future.
>
> - Having PJSIP parse /etc/resolv.conf is not a good thing. If that can't be avoided, we need to monitor the file for updates from Asterisk and reconfigure.

PJSIP does not parse /etc/resolv.conf.