[asterisk-dev] version.c generation

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Thu Mar 13 16:28:21 CDT 2014

> Michal Rybárik <mailto:michal at rybarik.sk>
> Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:03 PM
> Hello,
>
> how and when is main/version.c generated ? I checked out branch-11
> svn, compiled, packaged for debian, and now I realized that "core show
> version" is diffent than version that I got from SVN.
>
> main/version.c
> static const char asterisk_version[] = "SVN-branch-11-r410490M";
>
> ipfon-test*CLI> core show version
> Asterisk SVN-branch-11-r410490M built by root @ fero on a i686 running
> Linux on 2014-03-13 20:44:31 UTC
>
> SVN checkout:
> Checked out revision 410540.
>
> How this works?
>
> Thanks,
> Michal Rybarik

The version number is determined by the build_tools/make_version script.
It uses an svn property (by default svnmerge-integrated) in order to
determine the version.

The reason this is different from what "svn info" shows is that the
Asterisk repository has commits being made to many different branches.
It is possible (and likely) that the branch you are currently using was
last updated by a commit made many revisions ago. The version you see
from "core show version" in Asterisk should show you the latest revision
made in the branch you currently are using.  "svn info" just shows the
latest revision committed to the Asterisk repository, no matter the
branch you currently have checked out.