[asterisk-dev] [Code Review] 3343: res_pjsip: Enable DNS support.

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Thu Mar 13 05:37:25 CDT 2014

Olle E. Johansson wrote:

> On 12 Mar 2014, at 19:53, Joshua Colp <reviewboard at asterisk.org
> <mailto:reviewboard at asterisk.org>> wrote:
>
>> This change adds a configuration option for setting nameservers to
>> be used by the PJSIP DNS client. If this option is not set then the
>> system nameservers are retrieved and used instead.
>>
>> This also allows the nameservers to be changed by doing a reload.
>
> Why is this a good thing?

PJLIB-Util (part of pjproject) provides a DNS client which can
optionally (but is highly suggested) to be used with PJSIP. It provides
asynchronous DNS, SRV lookups, multiple record support, etc. Right now
this isn't enabled so we are simply doing A/AAAA record lookups. The
reason it's not enabled is that explicit nameservers *must* be provided
to it when enabling it. It will not use the system ones by itself. The
change up on reviewboard enables it by default using the system
nameservers it finds, but with the ability to override or completely
disable it if a user wants. The reason I also provide reload
functionality is that people in #asterisk-dev expressed a concern that
users may change nameservers but don't want to restart Asterisk, which
is understandable.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Colp