[asterisk-dev] ISDN Userfield UUI has a length constraint?

Richard Mudgett rmudgett at digium.com
Mon Jun 16 17:21:37 CDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 3:03 PM, Yves A. <yves030 at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> I made the changes in the q931.c sourcefile and got rid of the 35
> character constraint.
> thanks for your attention.
> yves
>
> Am 16.06.2014 15:23, schrieb Yves A.:
>
>  seems, I found the right place by myself... no wonder I could not find it
>> in asterisk sources....
>> the constraint is located in the sources of libpri.... I will change
>> that, recompile and post feedback here...
>>
>> thanks anyways,
>> yves
>>
>> Am 16.06.2014 14:57, schrieb Yves A.:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am using the Q931 / ISDN USER-USER-INFO field for transferring data
>>> between the caller and the called party.
>>> This works fine as long as the information does not exceed 35
>>> characters...
>>> Unfortunately sometimes I need more space and due to the Q931 Specs I
>>> think there should be space for max. 128 octets (bytes/characters)...
>>> Can someone point me to the place in the sources where I can check and
>>> adopt this?
>>> I have tested this on an asterisk 11.3 and on an asterisk 1.6.2.24....
>>> both show the same limit of 35 characters...

That restriction has been there since the feature was put into the code.
This would be the reason for the 35 character restriction:

ITU Q.931 Section 4.5.30:
{quote}
In USER INFORMATION messages sent in association with a circuit-mode
connection, the User-
user information element has a network dependent maximum size of 35 or 131
octets. For USER
INFORMATION messages sent in a temporary or permanent user-user signalling
connection, the
user information field contained inside this information element has a
maximum size equal to the
maximum size of messages defined in clause 3, that is 260 octets.
{quote}

Richard