[asterisk-dev] Proposed removal of deprecated modules in Asterisk 13 (cdr_sqlite, chan_gtalk, chan_jingle, res_jabber, chan_h323, app_readfile, app_dahdibarge, app_setcallerid, app_saycountpl)

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Jul 1 06:54:51 CDT 2014

On 01 Jul 2014, at 13:28, Walter Doekes <walter+asterisk-dev at osso.nl> wrote:

>>> in chan_sip:
>>> - "username" (=defaultuser)
>> Username actually has multiple functions, which is why I separated one of them
>> to defaultuser. username should remain the authentication username or be replaced
>> by authuser=
>
> I'd rather see it removed now (and possibly reused later) than have an altered meaning right now.
>
> At the moment username==defaultuser. There is no separation. At least not when I look in 1.8.x.
>
> (And it's stored in the peer->username field.)
Which is the problem with just removing it. I added the new name since 100% of asterisk configs out there totally misunderstood this field and did not understand the relation to defaultip.

I think we should take the next step and separate the two functions carefully. That will break a lot of configurations unfortunately.

We also have to add a policy of NEVER ever using one specific config name and value for multiple functions. That's just asking for this kind of problems. Like "insecure" and "nat" and...

In trainings it fun though. People get very confused and need more hours, which is good from a consultant point of view, but not good for users. ;-)

/O