[asterisk-dev] DTLS setting impacts encryption setting

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Tue Jan 28 15:53:12 CST 2014

On 14-01-28 04:25 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> This was on -users, but it appears all the DTLS discussion is on -dev so
> I'm reposting it...
>

> If I understand correctly, setting
>
>    encryption=no
>
> means that Asterisk will make outgoing calls without encryption, but
> will be happy to accept incoming calls regardless of whether the caller
> wants encryption or not (that is how it has been working for me anyway)

What you are referring to is optional encryption which should not be
working. The code was originally written with only SDES in mind so it
may be possible that the DTLS code isn't taking things into account
correctly.

Personally I am against optional encryption. Best effort encryption just
does not make sense to me.

--
Joshua Colp