[asterisk-dev] Modifying Asterisk sRTP

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Jan 8 00:56:35 CST 2014

8 jan 2014 kl. 01:24 skrev Dylan Herman <hermandy at pascack.k12.nj.us>:

> Thank you for responding.
>
> I already have the libsrtp on my system, I believe, since I have the same files that were on the libsrtp github. Are you saying that I could just write my code in one of the scripts with the encryption algorithms leaving it under its original name of the algorithm? Such as aes.c, aes_cbc.c...
I think you need to learn more about the standards and how SRTP is negotiated before you do anything. What you need to do is to come up with a name and a tag for negotiation in the SDP offer/answer
process. If this is successfully negotiated you engage your crypto code. You need to add code, not replace code.

/O

> On 07 Jan 2014, at 15:12, Dylan Herman <hermandy at pascack.k12.nj.us> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>

>> I have a question regarding sRTP with Asterisk. I posted this question on the Asterisk wiki and was suggested to post it on the Developer mailing list. I am working on an encryption project. The project consists of using my own encryption method to encrypt SIP phone calls using an Asterisk server-server connection. I was wondering where the algorithm that sRTP uses to encrypt RTP is located, so I can modify the code to utilize my own algorithm. I was told it is not in the Asterisk source code.
>>
> The names of the algorithms used in Asterisk is hard coded in Asterisk's srtp code. The rest of the implementation is in the libsrtp library hosted on github.
>
> Recently libsrtp added an option to use OpenSSL encryption, which is better for some government installations as OpenSSL is usually approved. I don't think we use that option in Asterisk.
>
> /O

---
* Olle E Johansson - oej at edvina.net
* Cell phone +46 70 593 68 51, Office +46 8 96 40 20, Sweden