[asterisk-dev] Installing Asterisk in Mac OS X Mavericks

David M. Lee dlee at digium.com
Thu Feb 27 12:55:43 CST 2014

Asterisk requires GCC to build properly. The most recent version of Xcode symlinks gcc to Clang’s compiler. Which is… unfortunate.

I install GCC myself (gcc-4.8 for 12 and trunk; gcc-4.2 for 11 and earlier) for compiling Asterisk on OS X. Both are easily installed via Homebrew (brew install apple-gcc42 gcc48), and work fine for me.

You select the compiler by setting CC and CXX in the environment when you invoke configure:

  CC=gcc-4.2 CXX=g++-4.2 ./configure

If you just want Asterisk installed on OS X, I have a Homebrew tap that works for me, but it hasn’t gotten a lot of mileage beyond that. That might work for you. And I’ll happily accept any pull requests that improve the tap.

https://github.com/leedm777/homebrew-asterisk

Good luck!

--
David M. Lee