[asterisk-dev] CentOS packaging

Sean Darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 16:04:26 CST 2014

On 02/25/2014 02:03 PM, Ben Langfeld wrote:
> After a conversation with Rusty last week, I've become aware that for a
> simple installation of asterisk (11) from the CentOS repositories at
> http://packages.asterisk.org/centos/, the 'current' repo at
> http://packages.digium.com/centos is required to satisfy the dependency
> of the 'asterisk' package on 'asterisk-dahdi'.
>
> I understand that there are licensing reasons for this package to not be
> available from the community repo, and I'm not going to get into the
> complexity of that, but this situation is rather odd. It's required to
> add a total of three repos, from two different domains, just to do 'yum
> install asterisk' and get something from this decade. This seems
> excessively complex, and likely unnecessary.
>
> Is there anything that can be done to simplify this? Is the dependency
> on asterisk-dahdi really necessary? Is there a reason not to publish the
> contents of the 'current' repo to all of the 'asterisk-MAJOR' repos, to
> reduce the required repo-count to 1?
>
> Cheers,
> Ben Langfeld

Does there need to be a dependency on asterisk-dahdi? Asterisk works
just fine without dahdi. Can it be an "add-on" if dahdi is wanted? Is it
required to specify dahdi at compilation to use the dahdi package later?

If asterisk is built with dahdi, does it need the dahdi package? All of
the dahdi package? or just the tools? Perhaps asterisk-dahdi could just
be the tools (which would meet the Fedora criterion, right?), and the
kernel modules an "add-on" package.

FWIW, I actually use koji to build rc asterisk packages without dahdi.

sean