[asterisk-dev] PJSIP_AOR and PJSIP_CONTACT Dialplan Functions

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Mon Dec 22 13:11:22 CST 2014

Matthew Jordan wrote:

<snip>

> I think this gets 90% of the way towards what people (such as X-Rob,
> who filed ASTERISK-24341) were looking for.
>
> I don't think this quite addresses the use case of "I want to create
> an outbound INVITE request to all contacts on an AoR that do not
> currently have an active channel/media session associated with them" -
> since we have no way to query through the CHANNEL function what
> previous dial attempts resulted in.
>
> It feels like there should be a mechanism that we could provide that
> would have this information:
>   * We know what contacts we are going to send outbound INVITE requests to
>   * We know when those INVITE requests succeed and/or fail
>   * And we know when the overall dialog established by those INVITE
> requests are done
>
> What technical hurdles do you see with providing this?

Two words: Inbound sessions.

Provided you live in a world where only outgoing sessions exist then you
can accurately reflect the state of it since you are dialing the
contact. Since you may or may not be able to accurately tie an incoming
session to a contact it may or may not be true.

The only way to reliably know whether a specific *device* is in use or
not is to have separate endpoints.

--
Joshua Colp