[asterisk-dev] git migration update

Samuel Galarneau sgalarneau at digium.com
Mon Dec 22 13:03:17 CST 2014

Just wanted to update everyone on the git migration status and illicit some
feedback on a few items.

We setup an instance of Gerrit and Jenkins internally, imported the
Asterisk testsuite into a git repo, and configured Gerrit and Jenkins
together.

A few issues and questions have come up in the course of setting this all
up:

1 - merge history from svn has not been preserved, primarily due to the
fact that we are missing svn:mergeinfo properties in our svn repo. The
current plan is to use the various custom svn properties we do have along
with log messages (the one I've looked at all appear to mention which
rev(s) were merged in a given merge commit) to build a graft file and using
git filter-branch to rebuild the merge history. Has anyone else run into
this issue? Are there better ways to handle this?

2 - we have a few options as far as team branches go. We could configure
user branches using refs/heads/team/${username}/* permissions in Gerrit to
allow users to create branches. This would prohibit other users from
pushing to a user branch, but they would still be visible. This would most
likely involve reproducing some sort of automerge/autorebase process. The
other option is to use github as another remote for team branches, with a
remote pointing to Gerrit for code reviews. Is there a preference between
these two approaches, or perhaps a better setup we could follow?

Any input is welcome. Ultimately we want the process of contributing to
Asterisk to be better than it is now so we need your support in determining
what the best way forward is.

--

Samuel Fortier-Galarneau
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer