[asterisk-dev] ARI Extending Existing Feature: bridge control

Nir Simionovich nir.simionovich at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 00:59:19 CST 2014

I see your point now - that makes more sense. It was fairly clear to me
that ast_bridge_config is somewhat of a legacy data structure,
but I was assuming that in some respect it was used in ARI as well. What
your actually saying is that ARI bypasses all of the legacy
stuff and interacts directly with the bridge core, and that's why it
doesn't support that data structure. So technically, accessing bridge
configuration for a Legacy (Dial, Queue, FollowMe) is a fairly complex
task, as they don't see the same information space.

This now raises a slightly off-topic discussion - wouldn't it beneficial to
provide some form of ARI access to some of the legacy stuff
as well? On one hand, we don't really want to do that - as we're trying to
push people into proper usage of ARI and Asterisk, however,
my heart goes out to the legacy stuff, that if we don't cater to, will
become a caveat.

I will explain. About 6 years I've built a large scale Asterisk based
dialer for a customer. When I say large scale, I meant humongous
in 2008 terms - 2500 concurrent calls. Now, that dialer relied heavily on
AMI (of course) and AGI. It was originally built on Asterisk 1.6.
Recently, the customer came back to me, asking me to upgrade their system
to Asterisk 11, specifically for security reasons. I then
looked at the code, realizing that the customer had wrote some stuff using
MeetMe and some of the deprecated app_queue stuff.
I indicated to them that their legacy code should be migrated as well.
Customer looked at it, realized that apart from upgrading Asterisk,
they will have about 6 months worth of coding to migrate their stuff to the
new constructs - the entire project caved. We just upgraded
to latest version of the 1.6 branch, and the customer is now evaluating 1.8
- in other words, not supporting the legacy stuff in some
respect will at some point bite us in the ass.

I realize this is very much a leadership question, not a technical nor
operational.

New question: Do we want to enable legacy features inside ARI?

Nir