[asterisk-dev] ARI Extending Existing Feature: bridge control

Nir Simionovich nir.simionovich at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 15:12:30 CST 2014

Ok, I'll start with this - I agree with the both of you, ARI is the right
way to go.

However, when I look at ARI, I see somewhat of a Hybrid. When I say hybrid
I mean, a tool that enables me to do stuff,
both inside and outside of the Stasis construct. Example, ARI provides a
channels API, enabling you to originate a call.
If ARI was only about stasis, why did we enable the classic
application/extension, we could have easily just said: "oh,
originate the call and dump it into a Stasis app" - but that didn't happen.
Instead, you put the call into a dialplan or an application,
which in turn, will call the Stasis app (if truly required).

My point is this, if the ability exists and can be added, why not? It
doesn't break anything that's already in there, it adds much
needed functionality and it makes ARI richer in comparison to its
predecessor AMI, which people still have a hard time figuring
out why they should move to ARI.

This kind of feature can be a tipping point.

My 2c on the matter.