[asterisk-dev] Increasing DAHDI_CHUNKSIZE, what consequences?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Aug 7 02:57:33 CDT 2014

Hello,

I am currently writing a driver for the XHFC ISDN chip from Cologne
Chip, which is interfaced over SPI with an ARM processor (i.e it's not
the typical PCI card setup). The fact that it's over SPI means that
talking to the XHFC chip is quite slower than talking to memory-mapped
devices such as PCI devices.

With the default DAHDI_CHUNKSIZE of 8 bytes, we need to have an
interrupt every millisecond to push and pull data from/out of the XHFC
chip. And it's quite difficult to do all the necessary SPI
communication in one millisecond (not really transferring the 8 bytes,
but doing all the administrative stuff such as reading the interrupt
flags, etc.). Getting interrupts every millisecond is also generating a
fairly significant CPU load.

Ideally, we would like to be able to get less interrupts, like only
every 4 ms, and therefore push and pull 32 bytes of data at each
interrupt.

This would however require raising the DAHDI_CHUNKSIZE to 32 bytes
instead of the default 8 bytes. What are the consequences of such an
increase of the chunk size ?

Back in 2010, there was a thread at
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-ss7/2010-March/003544.html
showing that apparently wasn't really simple. And the document at
http://www.sangoma.com/assets/docs/misc/2009_10_09_How_to_Reduce_Asterisk_System_Loads.pdf
indicates that if you use any other value than 8 bytes for
DAHDI_CHUNKSIZE, you cannot use any software echo cancellation. But
both of these things are 4-5 years old, so I'm not sure to what extent
they apply to the current DAHDI code base.

Do you have any insights/experience about the possibility of raising
the DAHDI_CHUNKSIZE ?

Thanks a lot,

Thomas
--