[asterisk-dev] How to diagnose early media on a PRI

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Mon Aug 4 23:10:33 CDT 2014

> >>I'm not an expert on PRI, but maybe your telco is not passing on the early media to the caller.
>
> Yes, I believe that to be the case as well.  My Telco has been...less than helpful.  They are blaming the PBX, so I'm looking for a way to prove that asterisk is doing things correctly and shift the blame back on them.

Hi!
  It's very probable that the PSTN switch is not passing audio, even you are sending the Progress IE in the Alerting message telling that the audio is available.
  It is the default setting of most "mature" PSTN switches. For example, on EWSD, you would need to have the parameter PTHRUCON in your category to allow passing audio from the PBX without answer. Without it, the switch starts sending its own Ringback tone and totally ignores your media. With other switches, it's very similar.
  However, I'm very surprised, why Asterisk sends Alerting at all ? There should be DISCONNECT with Clear Cause 17 (User Busy) and it can also contain the Progress IE with Inband Info now Available.
  With regards,
    Pavel