[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 12 on CentOS 6.4

Marco Signorini marcotasto at libero.it
Fri Sep 13 05:31:12 CDT 2013

On 09/12/2013 03:55 PM, Shaun Ruffell wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:35:57AM +0200, Marco Signorini wrote:
>> Now I'm focusing on the i386 Centos 6.4 version running on a KVM
>> virtual environment.
>>
>> Below are the steps I've done:
>> - Fresh install of minimal i386 Centos 6.4 iso
>> - yum upgraded to latest available version
>> - yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
>> - installed the required libraries (ncurses, libuuid and other required)
>> - downloaded libjansson from
>> http://www.digip.org/jansson/releases/jansson-2.4.tar.gz, unzipped,
>> untarred, compiled and installed on /usr/lib
>> - downloaded the Asterisk 12 from the link: http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/releases/asterisk-12.0.0-alpha1.tar.gz
>> - ./configure
>> - make
>> - make install
>> - make samples
>>
>> but each time I call it I have:
>>
>> [root at localhost asterisk-12.0.0-alpha1]# asterisk
>> Illegal instruction
> This sounds alot like ASTERISK-20128 [1]
>
> [1] https://issues.asteirsk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-20128
>
> Does
>
>    $ ./configure CFLAGS=-mtune=native
>    $ make
>    $ make install
>    $ make samples
>
> Eliminate the illegal instruction error when running under KVM?

Shaun,

thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
Moreover compiling with the native flag enabled does not solved the
problem but helped me to try other ways. Starting from this idea I've
changed some KVM client parameters and I've found a partial working
solution. Here are the details of the steps I did (they probably could
be useful to someone other).

- Force the KVM to simulate a Pentium II processor
This trick allowed me to have Asterisk running since the chan_sip module
load, then crashed. Running the gdb I've found the problem seems related
to the line 34490 of chan_sip.c

- Commented out the line on chan_sip.c
I don't know the details for that but I think is something related to
the websockets feature I don't need on my tests... so I've commented out
this line:

     //ast_websocket_add_protocol("sip", sip_websocket_callback);

and chan_sip started to load.

- Other crashes are located on some other modules I don't need on my
tests, so I ended up to add a set of noload statements for these modules:

chan_iax2.so
app_stack.so
res_ari_events.so

I don't know if the crashes on these modules are related to the same
problem.

After these modifications I was able to run some calls between
extensions and queues.

I've rebuilt the whole Asterisk 12 with and without the
CFLAGS=-mtune=native and I've tried to enable/disable the BUILD_NATIVE
flag from menuselect having the same results.

Thank you for your help.
Best regards,

Marco Signorini.