[asterisk-dev] ASterisk-admin-guide-12.pdf

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Tue Sep 3 06:56:10 CDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net> wrote:

> Hi!
> A few comments:
>
> - There are no page numbers in this file.
> - In the Table of contents, page numbers roll over so after 999 it starts
> with 101 funny enough.
> - it's far too big and the format needs to change to make it manageable.
>
> As it's too big to be printed, we do need internal hypertext links or
> someting to navigate.
> The TOC needs a TTOC since it's 20 pages...

Page numbers shouldn't be too hard to fix. The TOC can also be customized
to not drill down as far into the levels. We could drill down only four
levels, which would shrink it quite a bit - unfortunately, that would also
make it so that the various commands/actions/applications wouldn't be
listed in the TOC - which might mean we have to look into a sublisting in
those various sections. Something a bit cleaner should be doable however.

I'll add one to the list as well: Each page on the wiki needs to correspond
to a new page as well. No breaking between the wiki pages does make it
difficult to read.

Internal text hyperlinks work for me when I download the PDF. For example,
any entry that has a 'See-Also' field in it, I can click on the various
applications/commands it references and it jumps me to that page.

As far as size goes, what content should we drop? The reference information
probably needs to be there. That's the vast bulk of the documentation. The
other options to drop are:
 * Getting Started (1.2)
 * Configuration & Operation (1.3)

The rest of the sections don't really add much length, and wouldn't buy us
much by dropping them.

I put an issue in the issue tracker for this:
https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-22439. Any other thoughts?

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager