[asterisk-dev] ARI, reinventing the wheel?

Steven Howes steve-lists at geekinter.net
Tue Oct 22 03:05:38 CDT 2013

On 21 Oct 2013, at 19:48, Tilghman Lesher <tilghman at meg.abyt.es> wrote:
> What about the fact that using the same API as a ton of other external
> projects (a RESTful interface), and this consequently makes
> integrating Asterisk more available to a wider audience of developers?

+1

I can think of a few applications where I've made a RESTful (well, near enough) interface to wrap around AMI just for ease of use. I can think of applications that I've avoided making because (to be quite frank) I can be bothered to faff around with AMI getting it to behave. At least with a RESTful interface, there is a defined way in which you can expect an interface to behave - and you learn it once for *everything*. You just have to learn the data that's passed over the interface in a particular implementation. People are familiar with REST - why not let all these people experience Asterisk?

Steve