[asterisk-dev] Valgrind support in Asterisk Test Suite

Scott Griepentrog sgriepentrog at digium.com
Mon Oct 21 12:41:38 CDT 2013

Sounds like a job for Scott...

I for one would feel a lot happier running patches through valgrind testing
before posting it up for review.

I understand the need to keep it as cmd line option though so it's not run
by default.

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Richard Mudgett <rmudgett at digium.com>wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 10:28 AM, nitesh bansal <nitesh.bansal at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I am trying to write some test cases for asterisk which run under
>>> valgrind. I went through the SVN log
>>> and realized that valgrind support was removed in SVN revision 1962 in
>>> hope of finding a better solution in future.
>>> Could anyone tell me if there is a solution currently in testsuite to do
>>> memory checks, if no, should i try to merge the code for valgrind support
>>> which was present until SVN revision 1961.
>>>

>> The testsuite is using the MALLOC_DEBUG menuselect option for memory
>> checks.
>>

> Kind of. The testsuite by itself doesn't usually care whether or not
> MALLOC_DEBUG is enabled; the build agents that run the testsuite happen to
> compile Asterisk with MALLOC_DEBUG enabled.
>
> And valgrind can provide a lot of other functions beyond just memory
> corruption/leak analysis (and it does do a more complete job of that than
> MALLOC_DEBUG - although it pays a large price for that as well). Having the
> option to enable valgrind on a test run could be very useful for local
> systems; I wouldn't suggest it for the nightly builds.
>
> Matt
>
> --
> Matthew Jordan
> Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager
> Check us out at: http://digium.com & http://asterisk.org
>
> --

[image: Digium logo]
*Scott Griepentrog*
Digium, Inc · Software Developer
445 Jan Davis Drive NW · Huntsville, AL 35806 · US
direct/fax: +1 256 428 6239 · mobile: +1 317 507 4029
Check us out at: http://digium.com <http://www.digium.com> ·
http://asterisk.org <http://www.asterisk.org>