[asterisk-dev] ARI, reinventing the wheel?

Paul Belanger paul.belanger at polybeacon.com
Mon Oct 21 09:47:33 CDT 2013

On 13-10-21 10:20 AM, Paul Albrecht wrote:

> Asked this question last week and didn't get an answer. Let me try again. What's the purpose of the ARI? There's already an established interface for managing asterisk. What specifically does ARI do better or more of than the existing interface?

The reason you didn't get an answer is because you never explained what
you wanted to do.  Basically, if you want to write app_foo.c, you'll no
longer to it in c, you'll use ARI to handle it.

We'll you can still write it in C, but future Asterisk applications with
use ARI.

>   Don't see any benefit of being restful, in fact, in some respects it's a step backwards because the new interface will be synchronous which doesn't make much sense for telephony applications.

Fair enough, continue to use AGI / AMI.

--
Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.
Jabber: paul.belanger at polybeacon.com | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode)