[asterisk-dev] New mailing list - asterisk-app-dev

Daniel Jenkins dan.jenkins88 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 16:52:07 CDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 10:34 PM, Bryan Walters <secretop at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have to agree with Andrew here. I think the current channels are
> sufficient.
>
> On Oct 15, 2013, at 5:23 PM, Andrew Nagy <andrew.nagy at schmoozecom.com>
> wrote:
>
> I personally think having another IRC channel is a bit excessive.
>

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 7:37 AM, Daniel Jenkins <dan.jenkins88 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Matt & et all,
>>
>> Do we need an IRC channel for this as well? People always ask questions
>> on there first, generally, so should there be one for this too?
>>
>> Or has one been setup already?
>>
>> Dan
>>

>> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 3:00 AM, Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hey all -
>>>
>>> After much discussion at AstriCon, it became clear that the Asterisk
>>> project could use a mailing list dedicated specifically to application
>>> development. This new mailing list should be used specifically for
>>> discussions regarding the development of applications using AMI, AGI, or
>>> ARI - or any other interface exposed by Asterisk in the future. Today,
>>> we're pleased to announce the asterisk-app-dev mailing list, now available
>>> on lists.digium.com:

>>> This new list is not a replacement for asterisk-dev or asterisk-users.
>>> The asterisk-dev list should continue to be used for discussions regarding
>>> development directly in the Asterisk project itself or the Asterisk Test
>>> Suite. The asterisk-users list should continue to be used for discussions
>>> regarding deployment and usage of Asterisk itself. As we expect the amount
>>> of questions and discussions regarding application development and API
>>> usage to grow, it makes sense to provide a dedicated forum for those
>>> discussions outside of -users and -dev, and this new mailing list serves
>>> that purpose.
>>>
>>> Of course, there's bound to be some cross-over between mailing lists,
>>> and sometimes it might not be clear where to post your question. As always,
>>> please do not cross post between lists. If your question on
>>> asterisk-app-dev is more appropriate for asterisk-users or asterisk-dev,
>>> someone will kindly ask you to direct your question to the other mailing
>>> lists, where a wider audience may be available to assist you.
>>>
>>> Thanks - and we all look forward to lots of productive discussions on
>>> the new mailing list about building applications that use Asterisk as their
>>> communications engine!
>>>
>>> Matt
>>>
>>> --
>>> Matthew Jordan
>>> Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager
>>> 445 Jan Davis Drive NW - Huntsville, AL 35806 - USA
>>> Check us out at: http://digium.com & http://asterisk.org
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>>

> --
>

> --

If that's what people think then fine, I was purely coming at it from the
point of view of people who really don't care / understand what's being
said in asterisk-dev - asterisk-dev can be overwhelming at times,
especially for the type of developers who we hope will come to Asterisk -
Web Developers - they don't care about compiling/gcc/c/whatever is said in
asterisk-dev

It's all about welcoming people into the community and making that as easy
as possible.

Like I said, just an idea and up to the masses :) I'm easy!

Dan