[asterisk-dev] SaySentence/SoundPack Proposal

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Nov 28 14:58:07 CST 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 10:04:58PM -0700, Steve Murphy wrote:
> Hello--
>
> Boy, it's been a long time since I posted to the dev mailing list!
>
> I'd like to announce a proposal to the Asterisk Community, that I
> introduced at Astridevcon last month. It is a new API for playing sound
> files (mainly speech). A pdf describing the Proposal in some detail is at:
>
> http://www.gmvoices.com/downloads/steve/sayscripts.pdf

First example:

* ret = ast_say_sentence(chan, “#*”, "<you_transferred> %m <to_your_account> %[o]d", balance, transaction_date);

%m should be "money". At what currentcy? When I say this in French
should I still say Dollars, or should it be Euros? And what currency
for Spanish?

The currency seems to me a rather local decision and should not be part
of the code or of the language pack.

Furthermore, you require the currency to be mmm.nn (exactly two 'cents'
digits). Some currentcies (e.g. the Yen) have no 'cent'. I believe that
some have a 'mil' (but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

>From what I understand, the sound set should include "you transferred"
and "to your account".

Anyway, you'll now need to go and fix each and every sound set for
Asterisk. This includes each and every sound set in a supported language
(such and English and Spanish).

The really funny thing would be to have buggy sound sets. But why would
you rely on code that is included with something that should only
include data? For instance, REASTART at the right place could induce an
endless loop, right?

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com