[asterisk-dev] scalability issue with realtime lastms update on qualify state change

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at meg.abyt.es
Mon Nov 18 00:58:41 CST 2013

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Damon Estep <damon at soho-systems.com> wrote:

>> > Can you help me understand what removing the column would do? I did not
>> see anything in the code that would stop the database update attempt if the
>> column did not exists. Would it not try, or would it just fail gracefully?
>>
>> The meta-code would simply drop that column from the UPDATE, if it doesn't
>> exist in the target table.
>
> Are we talking about something implemented in realtime_odbc, or also in realtime_mysql?
> And if it is the only column in the update, as in the case of a peer state change update?
> The generated update query on peer state change is 'update sipusers set lastms = [value] where name = [peername]'

It's implemented in both the ODBC and the MySQL realtime drivers.  In
both cases, however, the first key/value pair should always exist and
if it doesn't, both will fail:  the MySQL driver will emit an ERROR,
and the ODBC driver will attempt to execute what will be invalid SQL.
This is clearly a bug in the ODBC driver.  This situation probably
could be fixed in the realtime drivers to simply short-circuit and
cancel out the operation when no columns can be updated.

> BTW, thanks for taking the time to discuss this.

I still think the better option would be to control the rate at which
probes for peers are sent out, so their responses can be received and
processed on time.  Either of these present solutions are merely
attempting to code to the symptom, rather than fixing this underlying
problem.  However, moving the probes from the individual peer threads
to a single background thread is not an easy or simple change, which
is probably why you haven't attempted it.

-Tilghman