[asterisk-dev] scalability issue with realtime lastms update on qualify state change

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at meg.abyt.es
Sun Nov 17 13:10:44 CST 2013

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Damon Estep <damon at soho-systems.com> wrote:

>> If you really are averse to the effect that saving lastms in the
>> database causes, why don't you just remove that column from your
>> realtime tables?  We've had this ability to remove columns that you
>> prefer not to save in dynamic realtime since 1.6.2, and it sounds like
>> this is, in effect, precisely what you'd prefer.
>>
>> -Tilghman
>>

> Can you help me understand what removing the column would do? I did not see anything in the code that would stop the database update attempt if the column did not exists. Would it not try, or would it just fail gracefully?

The meta-code would simply drop that column from the UPDATE, if it
doesn't exist in the target table.

> The problem is not having the data in the database, the problem is the OPTIONS packet processing latency as the result of having a lot of peers changing state and TRYING to update the database for every one of them.

You're testing code that doesn't update that value in the database,
thinking it will solve your problem.  If that doesn't solve your
problem, then neither will this.

> If removing the column will stop the attempt to update the database that would work, but if it just causes it to fail it will not.

It will not cause the update to fail; the column will be dropped from the query.

> I also recall something in the code that indicates lastms is a REQUIRED column, but maybe I misinterpreted it. I guess I need to look at the ast_check_reatime code.
>
> ast_realtime_require_field(ast_check_realtime("sipregs") ? "sipregs" : "sippeers",
>                 "name", RQ_CHAR, 10,
>                 "ipaddr", RQ_CHAR, INET6_ADDRSTRLEN - 1,
>                 "port", RQ_UINTEGER2, 5,
>                 "regseconds", RQ_INTEGER4, 11,
>                 "defaultuser", RQ_CHAR, 10,
>                 "fullcontact", RQ_CHAR, 35,
>                 "regserver", RQ_CHAR, 20,
>                 "useragent", RQ_CHAR, 20,
>                 "lastms", RQ_INTEGER4, 11,
>                 SENTINEL);

That code doesn't state that the column is required; it merely emits a
warning on reload if the column doesn't exist or is not of sufficient
size or type to store the range of values required for the field to
function properly.  Yes, I suppose if you don't like the warning going
to your logs, that would be terrible, but other than the field
automatically getting the default on load, it doesn't otherwise affect
the function.

The purpose of the code was to stop failing when we added additional
columns to realtime in the future and merely to act in some default
way, but providing warnings to the administrator to add those columns.
 However, if you're comfortable with a single warning message related
to that column at reload time, then it's also possible to *drop* a
column and not have the system immediately stop functioning.

-Tilghman