[asterisk-dev] scalability issue with realtime lastms update on qualify state change

Damon Estep damon at soho-systems.com
Sat Nov 16 07:17:48 CST 2013

From: asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com [mailto:asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Olle E. Johansson
Sent: Saturday, November 16, 2013 1:02 AM
To: Asterisk Developers Mailing List
Cc: Olle E. Johansson
Subject: Re: [asterisk-dev] scalability issue with realtime lastms update on qualify state change

16 nov 2013 kl. 00:57 skrev Damon Estep <damon at soho-systems.com<mailto:damon at soho-systems.com>>:

I typically have 250 concurrent channels active per server.

RTP is not handled in the sip channel, but qualify and the realtime database updates for SIP peers are.

High RTP load won't affect SIP scheduling. High SIP load will.

Apples and Oranges.
Yes, there's one single thread in chan_sip handling all the Qualify and inbound sip messages. If we moved the database updates to a background thread the situation would improve. Then the monitor thread would just move on to the next message, letting another thread wait for the database.

/O

This crossed my mind, but it is well beyond my ability. If the database updates are removed from the qualify thread it is likely that asterisk will survive these events because the measured RTT on other peers will not increase beyond the qualify state change threshold as the result of synchronous database writes.

I have not looked at the database connection code, but the network captures I reviewed showed that the database connection is being opened and closed on every update also. Not very efficient.

Ideally the updates would be stored in memory (as is the case with no realtime) and marked as waiting to be updated in the realtime database. Another process would handle the realtime database updates in a batch mode, sharing a single connection for multiple updates. It is a realtime function, not a SIP function, so it should probably be handled by the realtime module. You could argue that this true for all realtime database updates (register, expire), not just the qualify state change or timeout.

I would still like to see the ability to turn off qualify/lastms realtime updates (without turning off register/expire rt updates), because the usefulness of the information appears to be limited to custom solutions that check the database for peer availability instead of simply trying the call and advancing in the dialplan if the peer is unreachable (which works well with qualify, even across separate servers with IAX).