[asterisk-dev] more granular control of TImer T1

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Tue Nov 12 13:28:44 CST 2013

On 11/12/2013 10:34 AM, Damon Estep wrote:

> Originally posted to
> https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-22841
>
> Feedback was that this is more of a dev discussion than a bug.
>
> The definition of timer t1min is "Minimum roundtrip time for messages
> to monitored hosts" the key word is "monitored", which means qualify=
> is set to yes or a numeric value.
>
> The value of t1min is being evaluated when the timert1 value for a
> non-monitored host is read from the configuration and a warning is
> logged and timert1 is set to global_timert1 if the configured timert1
> value for the non-monitored host is less than t1min.
>
> t1min should not apply to non-monitored hosts by definition and the
> user should be able to set a timer1 value that is less than t1min for
> a non-monitored host.

I can agree with this. The intention of the t1min setting should be to
ensure that if a monitored host has a super-short roundtrip time that we
do not end up setting the t1 timer to something ridiculously low. If you
want to set the default t1 timer to something lower than t1min for
non-monitored hosts, while I think it's a bit on the strange side, I
think it should be allowed.

> If T1 is set in the config for a monitored host it should be used
> instead of the last qualify result.

I'm not quite so sure on this one. I imagine there are users of Asterisk
out there that set timer t1 to some initial "base" value and then expect
qualifies to "correct" that value if it turns out the RTT is greater or
less than what is expected. Ignoring RTT for qualifies seems like
something that, if it should be done at all, should be optional.

> A case where this is needed is when there is a SBC in front of the
> monitored host. The SBC may answer the OPTIONS query directly and not
> pass it to the host which is behind the SBC. In this case the lastms
> is set to the RTT to the SBC, which is not indicative of the actual
> RTT for an INVITE which is proxied to the host (which adds additional
> delay).

In this particular case, wouldn't the SBC also be the first responder to
the INVITE (with a 100 Trying)? The way Asterisk works, once it has
received a response to a request, it will not retransmit the request any
further.

> Setting T1 to the last measured OPTIONS RTT is a problematic for
> another reason as well. Any amount of jitter in the network can result
> in unneeded retransmits. In practice T1 is set to the estimated RTT
> which is not always the last RTT but rather the average RTT plus an
> allowance for network jitter. There are many reasons when a user might
> want to adjust timer T1 on a peer by peer basis. They should not be
> forced to accept a global minimum or system calculated T1 regardless
> of whether qualify is on. Qualify is used in other ways by many users,
> not just as a means of setting T1.
>
> The current timer configuration could be improved by adding a T1
> jitter configuration value (in addition to or in place of T1min, which
> would be added to lastms to set T1. For example, if the lastms for a
> peer was 40ms and the T1jitter setting was 20, then T1 would be set to
> 60ms.

This, on the other hand, sounds like something I can agree with. Setting
T1 to a running average plus some jitter tolerance makes sense to me.