[asterisk-dev] Opus and VP8

Lorenzo Miniero lminiero at gmail.com
Mon May 27 09:53:27 CDT 2013

Hi Olle,

answering inline.

2013/5/27 Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net>

> Thank you, Lorenzo!
>
> A few comments:
>
> We need to find a better way to handle video update requests - your code
> change in chan-sip is not very
> modular. We should update the existing ast_rtcp_send_h261fur() function
> if that one doesn't work.

Actually ast_rtcp_send_h261fur() does not exist anywhere in the code: it
was already commented in chan_sip. What I added was simply a "hack" to send
a RTCP FIR message in the VP8 case, rather than a SIP INFO that was the
default behaviour (the transmit_info_with_vidupdate that is there). I did
it this way to minimize the impact on the existing code, but I'll welcome
any indication on better ways to procede!

> Also, your adding this:
> ast_str_append(a_buf, 0, "a=rtpmap:%d %s/%d/2\r\n", rtp_code, mime, rate);
>
> I don't think Asterisk supports parsing that on incoming SDP. Have you
> tested this?

The append you see is mandated by the current specification:

      http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-payload-rtp-opus-00#section-6.2
      The RTP clock rate in "a=rtpmap" MUST be 48000 and the number of
channels MUST be 2.

Asterisk seems to parse this fine, though (both browsers do this, I can't
remember if PhonerLite does as well), as Opus is correctly negotiated. I
can't remember any issue when checking with "sip set debug on" either. My
guess is that in the "rtpmap: %30u %127[^/]/%30u" sscanf it is simply
ignored.

> Apologize for the colors, it's from cut/paste.

Long live colors! :-)
Lorenzo