[asterisk-dev] Opus and VP8

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Fri May 24 06:26:29 CDT 2013

24 maj 2013 kl. 12:51 skrev Lorenzo Miniero <lminiero at gmail.com>:

> PS: a few months ago I also talked, on the #asterisk-dev IRC, about the support I added for both Opus (transcoding) and VP8 (passthrough) in Asterisk, codecs that are currently the default ones used in WebRTC. I checked whether there was an interest in a patch for them, but at the time there were some concerns about the copyright status of Opus that prevented it to be considered for integration in Asterisk. Has this situation changed in the meanwhile? I can open a separate thread for this if needed.

Lorenzo,

Good seeing you here!

Due to legal issues I don't think Digium can accept a contribution of Opus and VP8 in the svn repositories today.

I would encourage you, if you have these patches, to publish them on a web site like github or sourceforge so w all can help you test it. I really would like for these to be available for the community in an easy form.

Some things can be done in Asterisk though and that's the code points for pass through media. I don't think that would cause any legal issues.

/O