[asterisk-dev] What's an AOR?

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Thu May 23 10:41:36 CDT 2013

Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> 23 maj 2013 kl. 16:48 skrev Mark Michelson<mmichelson at digium.com>:
>
>> On 05/22/2013 01:42 PM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>>> 22 maj 2013 kl. 20:18 skrev Mark

>>> Mark, Since I obviously have misunderstood this architecture -
>>> can you please describe how this is configured and use cases for
>>> this structure. Also, how it is handled by the core pbx - since
>>> you now can have multiple devices for one dialstring entry?
>>>
>>> Thanks, /O
>> Sure thing. Let's consider a business where you and I work together
>> as support technicians. We each have a desk phone (an "endpoint" by
>> Asterisk definition), so we initially set up a very simple
>> configuration like so:
>
> Thanks. I do understand why the code have all this capability, but I
> fail to understand why we can't make a configuration that makes more
> sense from an Asterisk admin standpoint.

The configuration mechanism available right now is a direct mapping into
the implementation objects in memory. This gives you maximum
flexibility. Could something else be written that consumes a simplified
configuration but still produces, internally, the needed objects? Sure.
Would I want to get rid of what exists now? No, it's powerful.

> And since we don't have the support, like you say, in app dial for
> multiple-level forking, I think the ability to register multiple
> phones to one aor is something we should disable until it works. It
> will just generate confusion and a long list of bug reports for Rusty
> to handle.

I've had multiple people from different places comment on this
functionality and even after explaining the limitations and how to do it
they still want it. I think disabling it just because it doesn't fit
every need immediately would turn away a group of people who are
interested in giving us feedback. In the end if it doesn't fit a need
right now then you are not forced to use it.

As well the only confusion I could see from it is how to use it, and the
bug reports would be lack of functionality which we could use to make
sure we cover all the bases when extending and improving it.

--
Joshua Colp