[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 12 Project Update

Gunnar Hellstrom gunnar.hellstrom at omnitor.se
Tue May 7 01:47:41 CDT 2013

Hi,
Thanks for a good overview.

I have a couple of questions on what is included in current plans for
Asterisk 12.

1. Real-time text.
Is the support for real-time text with presentation according to T.140
and RTP transport according to RFC 4103 included in the plans.
It is in current versions 1.6, 1.8 etc, and described in
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Real-time+text and works well for
rapid smooth text communication.

2. Calls without audio.
A long time ago, Asterisk had problems with calls without audio. E.g.
only video.
Many SIP implementations have the problem that they have audio-centric
roots and are not verified for audio-less calls.
I did not see any use case for calls without audio among the video call
cases and suggest that such cases are added and the case kept in mind
during the development.

3. Complete SDP parameter handling for video.
Video calling through Asterisk requires good and comprehensive handling
and conveyance of video parameters between the call legs to achieve
interoperability and good video quality between the parties. Are there
plans for that?

Thanks,

Gunnar

Gunnar Hellström