[asterisk-dev] Direct media in the new SIP work

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Mon Mar 4 14:23:46 CST 2013

On 03/04/2013 02:04 PM, Jeremy Kister wrote:
> On 3/4/2013 2:47 PM, Mark Michelson wrote:
>> are any direct media-related features that are not in current Asterisk
>> but that would fit well in the new version of Asterisk.
>

> not sure if this is the kind of thing you're looking for, but..
>
> https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-18706

Thanks for the input.

In a way, this is what I'm looking for, and in a way it isn't. Keeping
UDPTL working even if direct media is enabled is something we should
keep in mind while writing new code. On the other hand, the linked issue
is likely just due to a bug in Asterisk rather than a design flaw in
direct media.

In the new SIP work, all SDP stream types have their own handlers for
accepting, generating, and applying streams. This means that there will
be a UDPTL stream type that will be written in order to write its SDP
stream information. In the bug report you linked, it appears that the
200 OK from one of the Asterisk boxes is placing the wrong address in
the c= line of the SDP. In the new SIP work, the UDPTL stream will be
written in a way such as to always place the Asterisk server's IP
address in the c= line of the UDPTL stream.

Mark Michelson